Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Mental Health in Nursing




Mental health issues are still one of those things that nurses often struggle with. We learn about the stigmas of mental health and pride ourselves, as nurses, in being understanding but the truth is, many of us still don’t know how to care for our patients with mental illness. I’ve heard from many students during mental heath rotations, “once this is over, I’m never working in mental heath.” The problem with that statement is, no matter where you work, you will see patients with mental illness in your practice. They are ordinary people! A teen with depression can still break their arm; a lady with a personality disorder can still be hospitalized for pneumonia; a man with schizophrenia can still have a heart attack, still need an immunization. It doesn’t matter where you practice, what specialty you have, anyone can have any number of health issues that underlies their current primary diagnosis. 


As a passionate nursing student, I feel it’s my job to treat every person with the same dignity and respect as the next. I’ve had some experience with community mental health and acute psychiatry and although I still have a lot to learn, I feel like I am fulfilling my goals to provide that fair care. I’m happy to say that with our year 3 theme of complexity at my school, many of my classmates DO understand the fact that all areas of care need training in mental health skills. 

Here’s something else to think about. Mental health theory and knowledge is also required of every REGISTERED nurse in Canada. SO, if you’re planning to write the CNRE, then you best have at least a baseline of mental health knowledge. Thankfully PRIMED has a specific mental heath practice quiz for the CNRE so you can test your knowledge and find the areas that you need more learning in. 

For more resources on mental heath, a good place to start is the Canadian Mental Health Nurses Association http://cfmhn.ca

Happy Studying!